Netbooks good for FreeBSD?

Takashi Inoue takash-i at sophia.ac.jp
Thu Oct 15 03:36:40 UTC 2009

> I am thinking about buying a netbook. But I am afraid that WiFi
> wouldn't be supported. And all my previous attempts to make NDIS to
> work on FreeBSD failed.
> There is a page about Asus Eee: http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee with
> mixed results.
> Does this mean that Asus Eee are the best supported/known machines?
>
> I was thinking about Lenovo S10-2.
I wonder why you choose FreeBSD because ATOM N270 has a Hyper-threading
and hence support a parallel processing. However, on FreeBSD with SMP
kernel,
ACPI suspend/resume is not possible.  For netbook, suspend/resume shold
be important.
Most of popular OS except for FreeBSD,  support a suspend/resume with
parallel processing,
 eg. Windows, Linux. I recomend you to reconsider.

Cheers,
T.I.