NDIS problem on 8.0-RELEASE

Alex alex323 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 05:37:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:59:26 +0100
Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/09, Alex <alex323 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello. I have been using wireless drivers generated from ndisgen on
> > 7.2 quite successfully. I installed 8.0-RELEASE, recompiled the
> > driver, and sadly wireless is not functioning:
> >
> > orion# wpa_supplicant -dd -Dndis -i ndis0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > Initializing interface (2) 'ndis0'
> > NDIS: Packet.dll version: FreeBSD WinPcap compatibility shim v1.0
> > NDIS: 1 adapter names found
> > NDIS: 0 -  - dummy description
> > NDIS: Could not find interface 'ndis0'
> > Failed to initialize driver interface
> > Failed to add interface ndis0
> > Cancelling scan request
> > Cancelling authentication timeout
> > orion# ifconfig ndis0
> > ndis0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
> > 	ether 00:24:2c:e7:2d:fd
> > 	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
> > 	status: no carrier
> >
> > Does anyone know what is wrong? I wouldn't have expected an upgrade
> > to break previous functionality.
> >

> with 8.0 you need to create wlanX:
>
> # ifconfig wlan create wlandev ndis0
>
> and replace ndis0 with wlan0:
>
> # wpa_supplicant -dd -Dndis -i wlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

That appears to have helped, but for some reason wpa_supplicant keeps
looping through its internal states. For example it'll be associated in
one moment and disconnected in the next (after which point it loops
over and over). Does anything special need to be done in rc.conf?
wpa_supplicant.conf? I am using the same wpa_supplicant.conf file that
worked under 7.2.

Eventually I will need to set up rc.conf so that it automates the
process of creating wlan0 as well.

Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.

--
Alex