eeePC - disabling tap

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:44:39 UTC 2009

On 5/16/09, Paul B. Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/09, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dan Langille wrote:

>>> Following up.... reading http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee under "Touchpad
>>> (synaptics) configuration" it says:
>>>
>>> - Disable moused in rc.conf
>>> - Add hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 to loader.conf
>>> - pkg_add -r synaptics and edit Xorg.conf according to synaptic's
>>> pkg-message
>>>
>>> I think the package information is out of date.  I see no synaptics
>>> package.  Likely candidates include:
>>>
>>>   x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics
>>>   x11/libsynaptics
>>>   x11/gsynaptics
>>>
>>> Only the latter seems to have a pkg-message.  I tried that.  It (and
>>> about 50 other packages) installed cleanly.
>>>
>>> I altered the mouse input device in /etc/X11/xorg/conf:
>>>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>> #       Driver      "mouse"
>>>         Driver      "synaptics"
>>>         Option      "SHMConfig"             "on"
>>>
>>>         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>>>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>>>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> and made the changes contained
>>> within/usr/ports/x11/gsynaptics/pkg-message:
>>>
>>> - /etc/rc.conf
>>> - /boot/loader.conf
>>> - downside of that is I get no cursor on the console
>
> In console mouse can only work via moused(8) & sysmouse(4) combination
> using syscons(4).
> Probbably psm(4) could have sysctl "tapping_disabled" feature implemented
> for synaptics case.
>

>>> reboot.
>>>
>>> I see this output from sysctl:
>>>
>>> hw.psm.synaptics.directional_scrolls: 1
>>> hw.psm.synaptics.low_speed_threshold: 20
>>> hw.psm.synaptics.min_movement: 2
>>> hw.psm.synaptics.squelch_level: 3
>>>
>>> I ran gsynaptics and unchecked "enable tapping".  I can still tap.
>>> Restarted X.  Can still tap.
>>>
>>> I wonder if the init process is failing, because if I run this from the
>>> console, I get:
>>>
>>> $ gsynaptics-init
>>>
>>> (gsynaptics-init:1097): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>
>> Interesting bits from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>

>> (II) No default mouse found, adding one
>> (**) |-->Input Device "<default pointer>"
>>

>> (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.99.3
>> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>> (**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
>> Query no Synaptics: 000000
>> (--) Mouse0: no supported touchpad found
>> (**) Option "CorePointer"
>> (**) Mouse0: always reports core events
>> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: TOUCHPAD)
>> (**) Mouse0: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
>> (**) Mouse0: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00
>> (**) Mouse0: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms
>> (**) Mouse0: (accel) set acceleration profile 0
>> Query no Synaptics: 000000
>> (--) Mouse0: no supported touchpad found
>
> It looks to me that HAL is doing its job :)
>
>> - --
>> Dan Langille
>>
>> BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference : http://www.bsdcan.org/
>> PGCon  - The PostgreSQL Conference:     http://www.pgcon.org/

Well I tried it myself and it works(more or less), I dont like
touchpad precision ...

add "hw.psm.synaptics_support=1" to /boot/loader.conf and reboot, (oh
why this is not plug and play
, should be reported as bug, so that rebooting is not required)

install xf86-input-synaptics, disable moused, and edit xorg.conf(mine
is with HAL disabled during compile):

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Mouse1"
 Driver "synaptics"
 Option "Protocol" "psm"
 Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
 Option "TouchpadOff" "2"
EndSection

Now only replace Mouse0 with Mouse1 in your xorg.conf in right Section ;)

Dunno what HAL may do if you compiled Xorg with it,
in that case you should have xorg.conf completly removed....
and HAL should be smart enough to do this on its own way.

Going to undo this soon ... I prefer sysmouse(4)/moused(4) combo.

--
Paul