Switching from wired to wireless getting "network down"

J. Porter Clark jpc at porterclark.com
Sat Mar 28 09:26:16 PDT 2009

>> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:04:29 -0700
>> From: Jason Nordwick <jnordwick at gmail.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>>
>> This appears to be the case. "route get 192.168.1.1" (my netgear wireless)
>> shows that it still wants to use bfe0 instead of the wpi0 interface. How do
>> I get it so that when I unplug my cable and my wireless is up, it changes
>> the routing table?
>>
>> -j
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Jason Nordwick <jnordwick at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I just updated to the current -STABLE (7.2-PRERELEASE is the same thing?
>> > hopefully).
>> >
>> > When I boot with the network cable plugged in, but then try to unplug it
>> > and up my wireless, it doesn't seem to work although the ifconfig shows I am
>> > joined to my wireless network. Is there some magic I need to do to reset the
>> > routing tables or something?

>Depends on your configuration. Do you use DHCP or static network
>configurations? If it is DHCP, I suspect /etc/rc.d/dhclient restart
>would do the trick. If it is status:
>route add default abc.def.gh.ij
>should do the trick.

>Going the other way can be a tiny bit more involved. 'ifconfig wlan0
>down' first or 'route delete default' to get rid of the current
>static. (Note: wlan0 on stable needs to be replaced with the name of
>your wireless interface.)

I've been playing around with this sort of setup, too, where I
want a command line to change from wired to wireless (at the
same IP address, even) and back again.  I haven't found the
magic solution, particularly one that doesn't have a lot of
hardcoded network config in it.  I'm also somewhat ticked that
"route flush" doesn't really flush all routes like the man page
says.  8-) Eventually, I usually arrive at a point where I can't
find my way back and have to reboot to get some work done.

Some things I've been using are "route delete <my ip address>"
and "route add -ifp <interface> default".  Might be a good idea
to "arp -a -d", too.

--
J. Porter Clark <jpc at porterclark.com>