is there a laptop ?

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Wed Mar 18 03:33:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 18:53 +0100, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 3/13/09, Saifi Khan <saifi.khan at twincling.org> wrote:

> >> I use RELENG_7_1 and RELENG_7 on HP Compaq nx7300. I haven't tried the
> >> suspend/resume, firewire port and I suppose the modem is not
> >> going to work. Everything else is working fine for me.
> >> --
> >> regards, Maciej Suszko.
> >>

> > What is the wireless chipset of your machine ?
>
> On mine nx7300 it is broadcom one and works fine via ndis.
> Suspend/resume works fine if second core is disabled and vesa is
> loaded in kernel
> (either via kldload or via custom kernel)
> Firewire and bluetooth are supported and should work without problems.
> Ethernet works via if_bfe; carbus, drm, sound works fine ...
> In short everything is supported on UP kernel except winmodem.
>
> There are some bugs in BIOS asl which I fixed adding:
>
> acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
> acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/acpi.aml"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf
>
> /boot/acpi.aml is modified version of ASL which address "temperature
> is absurd, ignored"
> type of messages.
>

> 8.0 CURRENT i386.

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread. I am running 7.1 and Gnome
2.22 on a Fujitsu T1010. (More at http://wiki.openslate.net) My
experience seems typical, most things work. Issues:

    o Suspend/Resume does not work

    o With powerd configured CPU speed happily throttles up and down
automatically, greatly extending battery life

    o X mouse pointer is usually a square of random noise pixels --
looks weird but works fine

    o Built-in WiFi does not work; I use an old Orinoco Gold PC-card, wi
driver works fine

    o Some thumb drives mount fine, some do not, some mount but do not
unmount. They all work fine in Vista :-(

    o Cannot mount a Sony PCM-D50 digital audio recorder, which works
fine in Vista :-(

    o The Linux-Wacom driver (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/) does
not see the built-in digitizer

Apparently HEAD == 8.0 CURRENT; I may move up to that to see what is
better. However, running CURRENT is not for the faint of heart.

Questions:

1. Has the SMP issue with ACPI been fixed in HEAD?

2. How does one disable the second CPU?

3. ACPI includes commands that be configured to run going into and
coming out of suspend. Can these be used to turn the second CPU off and
on?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com