wpa_supplicant && associates to unknown AP

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Mar 2 00:02:32 PST 2009

El día Sunday, March 01, 2009 a las 09:44:05AM -0800, Sam Leffler escribió:

> I don't see a wpa_supplicant log.  The way iwi works is rather a hack
> but necessitated by the crappy intel firmware.  There is no way to get
> iwi to just scan but not associate so what's done is we install an
> "impossible ssid" when we just want to scan then fill in the ssid and
> tell it to scan on just the channel where the desired ap is located.
> This has always worked but perhaps you caught ifconfig reporting status
> that was temporary.  Without logs it's impossible to tell.

I will try to collect a wpa_supplicant log; this is a bit tricky because
wpa_supplicant is launched at boot time with hardcoded flags in
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant and it seems it does not log via syslog (at
least I don't see how this could be enabled in the man page);

> The other possibillity is your wpa_supplicant.conf file allowed
> association to a "wildcard ap".  Can't tell w/o seeing the config file
> and/or log.

No, there is no "wildcard ap".

Thx for your reply in any case.

	matthias