ath0 / wlan0 on 8.0

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 9 15:17:49 UTC 2009

Marten Vijn wrote:
> hi all,
>
> When benchmarkmarking an ath0 card an I get these errors.
> After a could (~10) no traffic is possible anymore.

"no traffic is possible" doesn't say enough.  Do you see beacons from
the ap?  Are interrupts being received on the ap?  Are you out of
resources like mbufs?  I have seen, for example, things like nightly
cron scripts accidentally left to run and kill operation.

> What does this message mean?
>
> ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
> ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
> ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)

It means 4 consecutive beacon intervals went by w/o the ap being able to
xmit a beacon frame.  When this happens the driver does a h/w reset of
the chip and continues.  You can raise this threshold but if it's
happening a lot you should understand why.

> # uname -a
> FreeBSD  8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Jun 29 21:44:19 CEST
> 2009     root at master:/usr/obj/nanobsd.node_ap_64M/usr/src/sys/KERNEL
> i386
> #
>
> My benmark setup is dbs with 9 clients, and a ap in bridging mode.
>
> see  http://bsd.wifisoft.org/trac/wiki/wireless_benchmark for more info.
>
> All nodes run FreeBSD..

The only 8.0 log under "crashes" does not point to a system crash.

I didn't see information on the wireless setup (e.g. ifconfig commands
to setup and/or status to show final operating syste).  Does this happen
on all channels?  What else is running on the machine with the ap?  What
is the network traffic mix (e.g. tx vs rx)?

I know several groups using the Alix board in similar configs to run
production ap's with >10 users but you will need to tune the system for
best operation.  Under extreme wireless network load the PCI bus becomes
a bottleneck and causes the host to be unable to setup each beacon frame
in real-time to satisfy NextTBTT requirements.  Look at how the SWBA
mechanism works in the driver and the hw.ath.hal.sw_brt and
hw.ath.hal.dma_brt tunables.

Otherwise stuck beacon conditions can be caused by the ap not getting
access to the wireless medium due to it being busy.  You should sniff
traffic around the time of a problem for clues.  There are also h/w
registers you can observe (e.g. with athregs) to see how busy the medium
is from the POV of the ap.  There have been chip bugs related to this
condition but doing a reset should always restore operation.  If this
isn't happening should be able to diagnose what's going with the
existing facilities (e.g. athdebug msgs).  Understand however that
building a product ap is nontrivial and the FreeBSD ath driver can
easily be optimized better for this purpose.

    Sam