X60 overheating with 7.1

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 17 07:53:55 PST 2009

At Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:20:33 +0900,
Hiroharu Tamaru wrote:
> Yes, I advise you so too.

Well, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I have the time
to do this but it may be time to examine the paste.

> This may help you to get to the CPU:
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62866.html
> which links to:
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3550_04.pdf
> See Page 92 (pdf page 102/242)

Yup, this is the manual I read.  I have a copy.  Thanks.

> I do remember that there were some subtle places (though we
> worked without any documents), and I do remember that there
> were some screws that had more than one thing to hold, on
> front and backside of the main board. So look carefully
> before touching each screw!  YMMV, of course.

Heh, yes, "subtle places" indeed.

For the record, once kernels are built and the system is running
without WITNESS I have an average idle temperature of 47C:

(1) punk ? sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 47 54 -1 47 30 -1 29 -1

But the next tests will be using this as my development
target and conference demo box, which is why I bought it in
the first place.

I have seen a few disparate pages on this box, and if
I get a bit of time I'll try to summarize them on the FreebSd
forums.  This is the kind of information that is better in a forum
than in an email thread.

Thanks,
George