wpi and adhoc mode on 7.2 rel

Riccardo Vincelli r.vincelli at campus.unimib.it
Thu Dec 31 15:26:22 UTC 2009

Hello everybody!

I'm with a FreeBSD 7.2-release on a HP Compaq nc6400; we have plenty of
these notebooks at disposal, at a very reasonable price, so...
The card is recognized by the system, but I've got a question-issue:

Is there a way to operate the device in ibss/adhoc mode? The manpage says
bss is default, but it doesn't tell us how to switch to p2p mode; I haven't
found no useful posts on this.
In the handbook various commands issue a "mediaopt adhoc", but "adhoc", it
doesn't appear as a valid opt value for the mediaopt option, for this
driver.
The problem is that I can't put in work the device as a wep-authenticated
peer, nor with ifconfig, nor with wpa_supplicant (network entry is fine and
mode=1, but the ssid is constantly skipped: skip - IBSS (adhoc) etc...) as I
suspect I can't set it in ad-hoc mode.
tia!

--
Riccardo "reim aka riQui" Vincelli - http://reim.webhop.net -