Verizon Novatel U760 (u3g)

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Aug 13 21:59:36 UTC 2009

(cc to -mobile)

> Also, not sure if its an "activation" thing or not, but we had to run
> the device once on a windows machine, otherwise we would get 0.0.0.0
> as the IP address assigned.

We had the same with the Huawei E220 (http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/html/00192.html):

    And dial:

        $ ppp three
	ppp> dial

	That's not good, there should be three capital P's... Going
	through the PPP log, you will see that the IPCP layer doesn't
	get initialized properly. Why? No idea. How to resolve it?
	Put your USB modem in a windows machine, run it once there
	and put it back into your FreeBSD machine. Why? No idea.
	It works. The USB modem didn't work with under MacOS/X
	neither until I did this trick. Why? No idea. It works.

With my adventures with the E169
(http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/html/00278.html) on which I had the
same issue but couldn't get it resolved with the Windows trick I
found out that unless I first got a manually picked the carrier and
COPS code:

	AT+COPS=1,2,"50502",2 OK \
	AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"VirginBroadband\\\" OK \

I got a CONNECT string back instead of a CONNECT 7200000. With the
CONNECT string I got the IPCP layer failure, with the CONNECT 7200000
the PPP session got setup properly.

Lots of magic happening in the air :-)

Edwin

--