Wpi keep disconnecting

David Booth davidb at boothscientific.com
Fri Sep 19 01:12:52 UTC 2008

<davidb at boothscientific.com>wrote:

> > > I've got a Dell 1720 with a wpi wireless adapter in it. It was
> > > also droping the connection very often, until I added -bgscan
> > > to my ifconfig line. Now it stays connected all the time.
> > > except if my AP reboots then it does not want to reconnect
> > > automatically.
> >
> > I gave it a try and that did not do the trick.  It died less than
> > two minutes into an ftp session with less than 300 MB
> > transferred. After restarting, it died in less than a minute.
> > The only logged error messages for the interface are the usual
> > messages about Timeout resetting TX ring 3 or 4.

> have you tried updating to 7-stable?
>
> I have a dell laptop (inspiron 9400) with a wpi based adapter
> connected to a router (Linksys WRT54G f/w rev 7) over WPA. I
> normally have no problems with disconnections (w/ 7-stable, not
> 7.0-release), even with multiple long downloads using parallel
> connections (upto 10 per file). It works fine without any
> disconnections or problems until I run the Deluge bittorrent
> client. Once this start running, after a few minutes, all
> connections except Deluge stop (Deluge still runs fine). I cannot
> even ping the router. If I stop Deluge, other connections start
> working after a few minutes.
>
> Not sure if this is related, but I do have a problem when freebsd
> starts up. For some reason, the ip address and the route do not get
> setup when it boots up, although I can see the config scripts
> running. After I login, I neet to run /etc/netstart again before
> the ip address gets assigned. it gives a message 'invalid authmode'
> in both cases

I have the same hardware you do (inspiron 9400, intel 3945) running
7-stable (really 7.1 pre-release at this point) .  I have no problem
at startup connecting to a linksys wrv200 using wpa-psk using
wpa_supplicant, but I get the seemingly random disconnects.  When I
get the disconnect, ifconfig looks good except that the status shows
not associated.  Executing /etc/rc.d/netif restart will usually get a
reconnect on the first try.  It seems to be a wpa issue as using WEP
on the same hardware results in a stable connection.

On another note, can you get your notebook to suspend (S3)?