Wpi keep disconnecting

David Booth davidb at boothscientific.com
Thu Sep 18 12:49:10 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Alberto Rizzi wrote:
> > Sam Leffler ha scritto:
> >> Check for a firmware update for your router.
> >>
> >>    Sam
> >
> > It already has the latest firmware (maybe 4 years old).
> > Unfortunately I don't have other routers to try with.
>
> I would seriously doubt this is a router problem - I see the same
> thing with an Asus laptop using wpi driver + WPA encryption. In my
> case disabling the encryption was a workaround (a very poor one I
> know). This appears to be a Freebsd issue AFAIK, as for instance
> under Ubuntu I can have WPA enabled with such disconnection
> occurring.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

I have a similar experience with wpi in a dell laptop running 7 stable
i386.  Without encryption, the connection will stay up without fail.
If I enable WPA, it disconnects at seeming random intervals that are
shortened by doing large file transfers.  Sometimes it will go for a
full day without disconnecting; however,  if I do a file ftp of a few
hundred megs, it may disconnect after a just a few minutes.  I do not
think that it is a hardware problem in either the card or the router
as when I boot the laptop into windows and use the same router and
same WPA settings, the connection remains rock solid even with
successive large file transfers.