Laptop suggestions?

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Tue Oct 21 22:05:04 UTC 2008

Matt Olander wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:34:32 -0500, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My old Dell Inspiron 5160 has developed problems that I can't fix, sigh,
>>> so it's time to replace it.  I'm hoping for some good suggestions from
>>> this list (cc'd to hackers for the exposure, I know everyone doesn't
>>> read -mobile).
>>>
>>> My criteria:
>>>      * 3D acceleration.
>>>      * MiniPCI wireless (don't care which card, I'll replace it
>>>        anyway).
>>>      * At least 15" screen.
>>>      * Decent power consumption.
>>>      * Plays well with FreeBSD 7-stable.
>>>
>>> Nice to have:
>>>      * Dual core.
>>>      * >4GB memory.
>>>      * Working suspend/hibernate mode (and no, I'm not holding my
>>>        breath).
>>>
>>> So, suggestions?  BTW, if I get a decent response I'll summarize it for
>>> the list, along with the one I chose and my experience after
>>> ordering/installing it.
>>
>> Maybe you can wait for this:
>>
>> http://www.ixsystems.com/products/bsd-laptop.html
>
> Hi everyone! I actually had our prototype of this laptop up at the OSCON
> show in Portland and it was pretty well received.
> Everything works for the most part although we're still tweaking some
> things for ACPI.
>
> I'll have one at the FreeBSD booth at LinuxWorld in San Francisco next
> week, August 5-7. We'll announce as soon as this thing is 100% and we're
> comfortable bringing the product line up as an item that we're
> comfortable supporting long term. Most likely, available to the general
> public in September.
>
> best,
> -matt

Hi,

I have always thought that Fn key in left most bottom corner of the
keyboard is, especially for programmers, a very bad idea.  :-(

Otherwise it looks very promising although DVI or HDMI video output
would be very welcome these days as would be built-in Bluetooth.
(Btw thanks for RS232!:))

Cheers,

Martin