complex problem with G41. probably

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Oct 18 04:07:44 UTC 2008

	Folks,

	Well, here's the story as neatly as I can summarize it.  I don't think it
	has anything to with my software settings on the XP, still installed.
	Neither do I think the problem is with my hub/switch, a LinkSys that I
	bought around 5 years ago.

	What my wife and I discovered and I do not understand is that: when her
	laptop and my laptop are plugged into my hub simultaneously, her computer
	does not work.  Neither does my ThinkPad work. If my cable is unplugged
	from the hub/switch, my wife's computer works normally.  When her laptop
	is unplugged from the hub and mine is plugged in, it fails.  Same story
	with my daughter's.  As long as mine is plugged in, neither of the other
	laptops work.  My wife thought it might be my hub, so she moved her cable
	and my cable elsewhere on the hub.   This points to my laptop as being
	faulty.  Which was what I thought days ago when I began dealing with
	this.

	Are any of you familiar with XP to know if it is something not configured
	network wise on the M$ side?  I have my doubts, but then that's why I'm
	asking for expert opinions.

	thanks for any insights!

	gary