VIA video drivers

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Mar 31 01:49:13 PDT 2008

This is one of those posts that might not belong in mobile, but since I am
developing a mobile solution I'll start here.

I have been poking around a VIA support site (www.viaarena.com) and posted
a question in the forums about running FreeBSD 7 on the VIA Pico-ITX.
Looking through the Linux forum I see a lot of grief about drivers.
Especially video drivers. Is anybody here using Xorg on VIA hardware and
willing to share their experiences?

A more general question: Do Linux video drivers for Xorg automatically work
under FreeBSD, or is some black magic involved?

Even more general: Can I assume that even without a specially tailored
driver, Xorg should achieve fairly high resolution? Well beyond 640x480?
Seems like the grief with VIAs drivers is about speed and 3D rendering,
especially in the realm of movie playback and game play. Neither is a high
priority for me. Battery life is priority one.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project