if_wpi will not work for me

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Mar 26 17:47:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:02:31 +0100
Johan Johansen <Johan.Johansen at cc.uit.no> wrote:

> Returning from my vacation, I notice that my problem is somewhat
> different from what some of you other guys describe. I cant get a
> wpi-device to work with at all.
>
> Booting without acpi makes no differens.
> Applying patch wpi_releng7.diff makes no differens.
>
> Before I load if_wpi, pciconf says
> none0 at pci0:8:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x135c103c
> chip=0x42228086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '10418086 Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN controller'
>     class      = network
> and after
> wpi0 at pci0:8:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x135c103c
> chip=0x42228086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '10418086 Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN controller'
>     class      = network
> but still no wpi0 present.
>
> So, would it help to buy more memory, and if I do, where should I put
> it?

Just curious: why do you think that buying more memory will help?
Because of the "cabn't allocate memory resource" message?
AFAIU, that message indicates that there is something wrong with the
way your acpi / bios tells FreeBSD what memory / how much memory it
needs, not that the machine itself has too little memory.

What is needed to find out more is the dmesg output from a verbose
boot, preferably put up on the web somewhere, and with a link to it in
your message here. Also, be sure to put up the complete dmesg output.
For good mesasure, include the complete dmesg output of a normal boot
as well, and 'pciconf -lv' output, and what more?

You didn't say if your laptop is dual booting. If it is, and if the wpi
network adapter is working in some other os, it will help if you can
find out what resources (irq, memory ranges, etc) it uses in that other
os.
HTH
--
Regards,