psm0 and Synaptics_Touchpad spontaneously disconnected time to time on T60

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Sat Mar 22 03:29:07 PDT 2008

Hi

I have Lenovo T60, RELENG_7 and synaptics-0.14.6_3 installed.

Touchpad is detected ok by kernel and by Xorg (see below log).

Usually everything works. But time to time it just turned off without
reason.

It may show in dmesg something like:
psm0: failed to reset the aux device.
psm0: the aux device has gone! (reinitialize)

After that touch-pad stops to work and only way to make it work again -
reboot system.

Restart X does not help, psm driver can't be reloaded.

I think it may happens in case of too long delay of user-space response
in some cases. For example it happens with big probability when I switch
to vt from X and back. ( there is several seconds delay while switch ).

So questions are:

- is there any way "to reset" psm driver without reboot ?
- probably any ideas how to debug what happens ?

... dmesg ...
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: [ITHREAD]
psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

... Xorg.0.log ...
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
(**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
(**) Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "RightEdge" "5300"
(**) Option "TopEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
(**) Option "FingerLow" "25"
(**) Option "FingerHigh" "30"
(**) Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
(**) Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
(**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
(**) Option "HorizScrollDelta" "100"
(**) Option "UpDownScrolling" "on"
(**) Option "LeftRightScrolling" "on"
(**) Option "ScrollButtonRepeat" "100"
(--) Synaptics_Touchpad synaptics touchpad found
(--)  Synaptics Touchpad, model: 0
(--)  Firmware: 6.2
(--)  180 degree mounted touchpad
(--)  Sensor: 1
(--)  new absolute packet format
(--)  Touchpad has extended capability bits
(--)  -> multifinger detection
(--)  -> palm detection
(--)  -> pass-through port
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) evaluating device (Synaptics_Touchpad)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics_Touchpad" (type:
MOUSE)
Synaptics DeviceInit called
SynapticsCtrl called.
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
Synaptics DeviceOn called
(--) Synaptics_Touchpad synaptics touchpad found
(--)  Synaptics Touchpad, model: 0
(--)  Firmware: 6.2
(--)  180 degree mounted touchpad
(--)  Sensor: 1
(--)  new absolute packet format
(--)  Touchpad has extended capability bits
(--)  -> multifinger detection
(--)  -> palm detection
(--)  -> pass-through port
(WW) fcntl(13, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device
SynapticsCtrl called.
SynapticsCtrl called.
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled