if_wpi will not work for me

Armando Cambra acambra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:56:29 UTC 2008

I'm returning to FreeBSD from a long odyssey od using some other OSs...
I have  an Asus P1j (I think) Notebook, with a 3945 Wifi Card in it.
As I'm a roadwarrior I really need that fix of Wifi :-) but I don't
seem to get it working. I tried to follow the Mailing lists but did
not find anything related to my problem.
I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 or better trying to run it.
1. I can't start the FreeBSD without ACPI turned on, the Kernel just
panics. So no luck there :-(

dmesg show lots of "wpi error: bus_dmamem_alloc failed to align memory
properly", but nevertheless I get the wpi0 interface. It just does not
associate itself with the AP. I think the Network card is not running
as the status light is not light (I have some ... indeed very nice ...
leds that indicate the status).

As I have to download any patches through vista or linux and then
rebooting the notebook, I would very much apreciate some pointers (yes
I read the Handbook and even the WPI Pages... but somehow I'm just to
dumb to get it working and after using linux for almost 4 years since
I last touched FreeBSD I'm somewhat unixly challenged :-) I could
still use Ubuntu (and I'm quite fond of it) but I yearn for the clean
system I came to know FreeBSD was (and is).

Thanks for any Pointer.

Regards

Armando