ath card with two antennas and rfkill question

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Sat Mar 15 15:18:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:39:37 +0100, Markus Dolze wrote
> Hello,
>
> I recently got a Compex WLM54G mini-pci card for my Toshiba 6100. I
> connected the two internal antennas the laptop has and the card if
> working fine, except that the laptop's "wireless switch" does not
> work. I cannot turn the radio off (better this than the other way
> round). I remember having read that this switch is connected to one
> of the mini-pci pins and signals the card to turn off the radio. Why
> doesn't it work then? Or is it a software / driver issue?
>
> My system is: 'FreeBSD kirika.zzz.de 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE
> #2: Mon Jan 21 23:49:38 CET 2008
> root at zzz.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KIRIKA  i386'
>
> 'sysctl dev.ath.0' shows (amoung others):
> dev.ath.0.%desc: Atheros 5212
> dev.ath.0.%driver: ath
> dev.ath.0.%location: slot=10 function=0 handle=\_SB_.PCI0.PCIB.MPC0
> dev.ath.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x168c device=0x001a subvendor=0x168c
> subdevice=0x2052 class=0x020000 dev.ath.0.%parent: pci2
> dev.ath.0.countrycode: 0 dev.ath.0.txantenna: 0 dev.ath.0.rxantenna:
> 1 dev.ath.0.diversity: 1
>
> I am wondering as well: What are the countrycode, tx/rxantenna and
> diversity settings for? I found no documentation about these. Or are
> these settings read-only? How are the antenna numbers counted?
> Should I have 'txantenna=1'?
>
> What does the 'countrycode' do and should I set any value (like 49
> for Germany)?

Typically the countrycode and regdomain is set in the EEPROM. I'm not sure if
it's tunable with the 0.9.20.3 hal but you can set it in 0.9.30.7 to enable
900mhz cards:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-February/068996.html

Also take a look at this page from madwifi:
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/CountryCode

 Yuri