ath card with two antennas and rfkill question

Markus Dolze bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Mar 15 14:06:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently got a Compex WLM54G mini-pci card for my Toshiba 6100. I connected the two internal antennas the laptop has and the card if working fine, except that the laptop's "wireless switch" does not work. I cannot turn the radio off (better this than the other way round). I remember having read that this switch is connected to one of the mini-pci pins and signals the card to turn off the radio. Why doesn't it work then? Or is it a software / driver issue?

My system is: 'FreeBSD kirika.zzz.de 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #2: Mon Jan 21 23:49:38 CET 2008     root at zzz.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KIRIKA  i386'

'sysctl dev.ath.0' shows (amoung others):
dev.ath.0.%desc: Atheros 5212
dev.ath.0.%driver: ath
dev.ath.0.%location: slot=10 function=0 handle=\_SB_.PCI0.PCIB.MPC0
dev.ath.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x168c device=0x001a subvendor=0x168c subdevice=0x2052 class=0x020000
dev.ath.0.%parent: pci2
dev.ath.0.countrycode: 0
dev.ath.0.txantenna: 0
dev.ath.0.rxantenna: 1
dev.ath.0.diversity: 1

I am wondering as well: What are the countrycode, tx/rxantenna and diversity settings for? I found no documentation about these. Or are these settings read-only? How are the antenna numbers counted? Should I have 'txantenna=1'?

What does the 'countrycode' do and should I set any value (like 49 for Germany)?

Thanks
Markus D.