ThinkPad x61s

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sat Mar 8 00:36:11 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Guy Brand wrote:
>
>> Dan Langille (dan at langille.org) on 04/03/2008 at 07:34 wrote:
>>
>>> Are you running FreeBSD on a ThinkPad x61s?  Details please...
>>
>> I do.
>>
>> FreeBSD FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #58: Sun Mar  2 17:36:43 CET 2008
>> snd_hda, acpi_ibm, if_wpi for hardware specific support. Xorg
>> 7.3 working out of the box. cpufreq behaves strangely going
>> from AC power to battery mode and back, so I removed it from
>> the kernel config. Fan and thermal controls are fine. 6-cell
>> battery provides ca. 260 mn of work time.
>
> Had you run 7.0 on this?
>
> if_wpi?  Is that the "ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe
> US/EMEA/LA/ANZ "
> or the "Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN"

Someone told me wpi is the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and that
the driver is coming along nicely, but is "experimental".

If I could, I'd use the mini-PCI ath card from my T41, but that's not
an option.  The x61s uses mini-PCIe.

The wifi options for the x61are listed below.  With each option I've
listed
what I've found regarding support for that hardware.

1- ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
    no idea about this or if it's supported

2- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [add $10.50 $3.90]
    in 7.x and 8.x and is experimental

3- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)
    not supported but under development: http://www.clearchain.com/
wiki/Wpi

So it seems option 2 is my only option.

Are you having any issues with the wifi?

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan at langille.org