wpa_supplicant keeps de- and reassociating

Tobias Roth freebsd.lists at fsck.ch
Tue Mar 4 12:56:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> 1) what is causing these deassociate/scan/reassociate cycles?
> Background scans are causing it. They should not, but I have seen it a
> lot. I only see it when I travel and am in a location where there are
> multiple APs.

That's what must be happening here, there are plenty of APs around for
my SSID.

>> 2) why is it unsetting the ssid, when I explicitly set it in wpa_conf?
> I suspect that it is if the BG scan completes and did not see the
> current AP, even if the current AP is active. It may also be that a
> different AP is stronger when the scan takes place.

Hmm, this sounds unlikely for my case. APs and my laptop didn't move,
yet my laptop is doing this very frequently.

>> 2) how can I stop this (i.e. keep the current connection after initial
>> association?
>
> ifconfig ath0 -bgscan (as superuser) after the initial association has
> completed successfully. (I could probably do it by putting "-bgscan" im
> the ifconfig_ath0 line in my rc.conf.local. This would have a negative
> impact on roaming, though, so it is not the ideal solution, just one
> that works fairly well.

This doesn't work for me every time. Sometimes, it seems to, sometimes
not. Very weird.

> Something is simply interacting badly between the wpa_supplicant and the
> background scans, but tracking it down will be a real pain!
>
> Still using profile.sh!

Nice to hear! Every now and then, I'll think about redoing it completely
and adapting it more to the current situation, where profile changes
don't just happen at boot and resume, but much more dynamically. But
then of course real life intervenes and I feel like I won't have enough
time even before I started doing anything...

Thanks,
Tobias