Laptop suggestions?

AT Matik asstec at matik.com.br
Thu Jul 31 10:38:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 06:17:54 Achim Patzner wrote:
> Am 31.07.2008 um 02:45 schrieb Carlos A. M. dos Santos:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Achim Patzner <ap at bnc.net> wrote:
> >> I tried to break that habit more than once
> >> but right now the only comfortable way of running FreeBSD on a laptop
> >> is VMware Fusion on a Mac. Reading this entire thread convinced me
> >> even more.
> >
> > Please define "comfortable".
>
> You just did so:
> > I never attempted to use neither Bluetooth nor the fingerprint reader
> > [...] the memory card
> > reader does not work. I also ran 8.0-CURRENT on a HP 6910p because 7.0
> > did not support the WI-FI card.
>
> Great Lord. I just opened the box, turned the machine on and - after
> waiting
> fo about a few minutes - just began using it. Drivers? Who cares. Serial
> port? Just plug in an USB-to-serial. Getting X to run on the *censored*
> *even more censorship*? No problem, it's even launching itself should I
> really need it. Camera? Built-in. Unix that feels like FreeBSD? Built-
> in.
> HSDPA? Just connect the USB modem or plug in the Merlin XU.
>
> NO FUCKING INTEL STICKERS TO PEEL OFF. PRICELESS.

guys ... seems most of you are seeing a laptop for the first time of your
life, I am impressed

so long as you ignore FreeBSD's almost-disability to resume from suspend it
runs on all notes I got in my hands over the last years up to now with 7, and
runs fine, often much better  on cheap pieces (faster and longer bat life)
than on some 1500-bucks-wonder-bonder-books

and Jee, this sticker, man, hot!, intel, orange or bsd-whatever are really
important, I agree ... first things first - and you could stick them on the
screen to see them all the time

João