Laptop suggestions?

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Thu Jul 31 05:58:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 04:31:10PM -0400, L Campbell wrote:
> It depends on what you consider to be "comfortable".

Seconded. I have been happily running FreeBSD (usually -CURRENT) on two
laptops for the last 5+ years. No issues really. Of course, this
required that I did not merely walk into a store and pick up the item
that was the most heavily advertised or the cheaperst or the "coolest"
according to some tech site. (FreeBSD is so cool anyway, that the
machine gets barely notices anyway :-) Instead I picked machines that
were well supported hardware-wise after careful research. This meant eg
that I even left one in the shop because when I went on location, it
turned out that it had an Azalia soundcard instead of AC97 (although the
specs said differently) and that was not well supported at that time in
FreeBSD.  Incidentally, this usually means not taking the latest and
greatest, but to be frank, I have no need for the latest tech either.

At this time I have an IBM TP R50e, which "just works". It does not have
fancy items like BT or fingerprint reader, but I do not require those
either. The modem does not work but I have no need for that either any
more. (On my previous laptop, the modem worked with the ltmdm driver as
well and I used that to go online for at least one year.) Oh, and I do
not use suspend/resume because to be frank, FreeBSD boots faster than
Windows wakes up. So I have no need for that either.

So yes, it entirely depends on your definition of "comfortable".

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Budapest