Laptop suggestions?

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Wed Jul 30 02:07:16 UTC 2008

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:34:32 -0500, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My old Dell Inspiron 5160 has developed problems that I can't fix,
> >> sigh,
..

> > Maybe you can wait for this:
> >
> > http://www.ixsystems.com/products/bsd-laptop.html
>
> Hi everyone! I actually had our prototype of this laptop up at the
> OSCON show in Portland and it was pretty well received.
> Everything works for the most part although we're still tweaking some
> things for ACPI.
>
> I'll have one at the FreeBSD booth at LinuxWorld in San Francisco next
> week, August 5-7. We'll announce as soon as this thing is 100% and
> we're comfortable bringing the product line up as an item that we're
> comfortable supporting long term. Most likely, available to the
> general public in September.

Matt -

I may have just found my next laptop. A few questions:

1. Case size?

2. Weight? (It sounds heavy.)

3. Built-in camera? Specs?

4. Why FreeBSD 6.x and not 7.x?

5. Built-in modem not a winmodem?

6. Suspend will work, reliably, including networking?

Please put me on your mailing list, assuming you have one.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
73 BMW E9 (3.0 CS) 2213583 (rust repair research project)
    http://e9erust.blogspot.com/