Wireless access points: consumer, commercial, or DIY?

Mark Bennett mbennett at claritysoftwaresystems.com
Thu Jul 24 01:09:28 UTC 2008

> I'm currently running X-Wrt which is the OpenWrt code base with a
> better web interface and bug fixes.

You might also look at dd-wrt here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I purchased and flashed a Linksys WRT54g Version 8 device, and used it
at home for a few weeks with zero problems.  I'm planning to install it
for a commercial client.  I became frustrated with the feature set on
reasonably priced APs (try finding one that you can bridge to another AP
securely, and good luck to you), as well as unreliable performance.
Short of going to a Cisco or some other commercial level product, this
seemed to be the best route.  dd-wrt has a very full feature set.

Some of the hardware mentioned on the dd-wrt site is commercial grade,
look at Ubiquti among others.  Good luck,

Mark