Two minute pause at acpi.ko message on old HP laptop with 7.0-RC1

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Tue Jan 8 02:13:50 PST 2008

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Xn Nooby wrote:
>  > I have an old zv5445us HP Pavillion laptop, essentially the zv5000
>  > model, which pauses at the /boot/kernel/acpi.ko message during boot.
>  > It hangs there, with a non-spinning ASCII character, for about 2
>  > minutes - then it boots.  I tried entering the following commands in
>  > to the loader.conf to no avail:
>  >
>  >   set hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
>  >   set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
>  >
>  > I'm currently using FreeBSD 7.0-RC1, but it has the same behavior with
>  > FreeBSD 6.3-RC2.
>  >
>  > The machine seems to work okay after that, though I am having other
>  > problems with the screen going blank when I try to configure X.  For
>  > now, I was just trying to eliminate the 2 minute pause on acpi.ko.
>  >
>  > Any suggestions?
>
> Could you post the actual last couple of lines you see while it's
> pausing?  And the next line or so seen after the pause?
>
> If you select to boot verbosely then the section either side of and
> including this pause in your /var/run/dmesg.boot could be helpful.
>
> Just that it's not clear whether the 'acpi.ko message' you're seeing is
> printed before, during or after loading acpi, ie perhaps that's finished
> and the pause is before the next thing you see, in which case it could
> be hanging on something network related, or something else altogether ..
>
> cheers, Ian

I don't know if this is the same pause I'm seeing on a
	Dell Latitude XPi P133ST
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/
After these 2 lines
	Preloaded elf kernel
	Calibrating clock(s) ...
then 3+ minutes pause.
Then screen rolls fast, hard to read, but after booting, dmesg here:
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/dmesg/7.0-PRERELEASE
Extract:
	Calibrating clock(s) ... failed, using default i8254 clock of 1193182 Hz
	CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
	Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
	Calibrating TSC clock ... TSC clock: 133637718 Hz
	CPU: Pentium/P54C (133.64-MHz 586-class CPU)
My loader.conf stuff:
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/loader.conf
If anyone has ideas ? I'd try, I'm running 7-Stable
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.