FreeBSD 7 doesn't see AR5212 (Netgear WPN511) via PCI/Cardbus Adapter

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Wed Feb 20 19:56:14 UTC 2008

Sam Leffler wrote:

> You chopped too much context so I cannot tell what you're referring
> too.  I can only say that I have a T42 running HEAD that doesn't
> recognize an Atheros cardbus card I have.  The same card works in
> another thinkpad w/ a different cardbus chip.  The card works under
> other OS's on the T42 so it's a regression in HEAD (and likely 7.0).
>
> I traced through the code and think I pinned it down to not powering
> on the card on insert but am not certain.
>
>    Sam

As Warner said, I think there are two issues.

To rule out pilot error, I now test with both the 6.3 and 7.0 from disk
1 of the install CD's.  Both have ath compiled in.

Booting from a laptop, ath is seen just fine.  I use sysinstall to
configure ath, enter a shell and play with ifconfig etc.

When I boot on the system that has the pci->cardbus adapter, ath isn't
detected at all.  On this same system, my 802.11b (wi0) cards are
detected just fine.

MikeC