FreeBSD 7 doesn't see AR5212 (Netgear WPN511) via PCI/Cardbus Adapter

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Sun Feb 17 10:46:52 PST 2008

I use a Cardbus to PCI adapter in a FreeBSD 7 desktop machine.  My old
802.11b card (wi) was just swapped with a 802.11g, Netgear WPN511 (using
the AR5212 chipset).  FreeBSD doesn't see the card at all.  No lights on
the card are on as well.  /var/log/messages also doesn't show anything.

Does anyone else use this combination (PCI/Cardbus adapter & WPN511?)  I
checked the ath man page, it explicitly says the AR5212 chip is supported.

The kernel (GENERIC) is compiled with ath support:

# Wireless NIC cards
device          wlan            # 802.11 support
device          wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
device          wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
device          wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
device          wlan_amrr       # AMRR transmit rate control algorithm
device          wlan_scan_ap    # 802.11 AP mode scanning
device          wlan_scan_sta   # 802.11 STA mode scanning
device          ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
device          ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
device          ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath

I tested the card on a laptop, just to ensure that is wasn't DOA. The
card itself works just fine.

The PCI/Cardbus adapter works just fine when I put the old (wi) Netgear
car in, as well as other (Orinoco) cards.  So that part of the HW seems ok.

MikeC