wpi: "Radio transmitter is turned off"

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sat Feb 9 09:48:47 PST 2008

Hi Bill!

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> > Arne Schwabe wrote:

> > > Only to rule out the obvious. Is the wlan switch on your notebook in
> > > the right position?
> >
> Nice :)

So was this your problem?

I have the same notebook and have done the same procedure as you - enabling the hardware in
the kernel, but the switch on the front of the laptop is set to "On" - always..,

However, although ifconfig show the card okay:

$ ifconfig wpi0
wpi0: flags=8803<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:1c:bf:5f:57:6f
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        status: no carrier
        ssid "" channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11b)
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 50 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 bintval 0
$

I get the following each time I try to ifconfig wpi0 up:

Feb  9 17:30:30 ibm-t61p kernel: firmware_get: failed to load firmware image wpifw
Feb  9 17:30:30 ibm-t61p kernel: wpi0: could not load firmware image 'wpifw'
Feb  9 17:30:30 ibm-t61p kernel: wpi0: A problem occurred loading the firmware to the driver
Feb  9 17:30:55 ibm-t61p kernel: firmware_get: failed to load firmware image wpifw
Feb  9 17:30:55 ibm-t61p kernel: wpi0: could not load firmware image 'wpifw'
Feb  9 17:30:55 ibm-t61p kernel: wpi0: A problem occurred loading the firmware to the driver

Thanks.

Regards,

S Roberts