Sad replacement laptop for server? (Was Re: TECRA A9-S9017 -- Idles too hot -- Hardware Support)

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Mon Aug 25 11:30:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, August 25, 2008 4:58 am, freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
> Continuing this thread.  See below for annotations
>
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:28:19PM -0500, Wes Morgan wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
>>
>> >	I've been through his before with an AMD setup (desktop) and now,
>> >here we go again using a Toshiba TECRA A9-S9017 laptop. The issue here
>> is,
>> >is
>> >appears that FreeBSD is causing the motherboard and its chipset(s)
>> >and/or CPU's to work wide open (full throttle) --disregard for APM. I'm
>> >basing this on the amount of heat coming from this current laptop while
>> >the laptop is idling, The heat is to the point that you can't keep the
>> >laptop on your lap; in addition to the battery not lasting quite an
>> hour
>> >while idling.
>>
>> Try using powerd(8).
>>

> I have done so with little improvement as far as the heat goes.  When we
> first requested help (this thread), the role of this machine was to be a
> freebsd desktop.  Since then we lost a mail server and have been forced to
> use the 'subject' machine as a replacement --until whenever-- meaning it
> is plugged in 24/7.

That is a really, really sad solution. He who offered this replacement
should reconsider his options. A Laptop running as a mailserver? WTF that
is asking for business problems. I hope your business is insured and that
the one that offered the solution covered his *ss..

I would never ever offer a laptop as a replacement for any server related
solution. I can get a simple cheapdesktop with better and more
capabilities for less money if really needed. but a laptop? :-/

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet