TECRA A9-S9017 -- Idles too hot -- Hardware Support

freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx
Mon Aug 25 03:15:55 UTC 2008

Continuing this thread.  See below for annotations

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:28:19PM -0500, Wes Morgan wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
>
> >	I've been through his before with an AMD setup (desktop) and now,
> >here we go again using a Toshiba TECRA A9-S9017 laptop. The issue here is,
> >is
> >appears that FreeBSD is causing the motherboard and its chipset(s)
> >and/or CPU's to work wide open (full throttle) --disregard for APM. I'm
> >basing this on the amount of heat coming from this current laptop while
> >the laptop is idling, The heat is to the point that you can't keep the
> >laptop on your lap; in addition to the battery not lasting quite an hour
> >while idling.
>
> Try using powerd(8).

I have done so with little improvement as far as the heat goes.  When we
first requested help (this thread), the role of this machine was to be a
freebsd desktop.  Since then we lost a mail server and have been forced to
use the 'subject' machine as a replacement --until whenever-- meaning it
is plugged in 24/7.

as stated above 'powerd' is being used and we do notice less heat after
the machine hasn't been used for a period of hours.  However, even though
we consider the machine as idling, because we haven't used it in hours,
other than the mail coming in; X.org is not running and the lid/LCD is
closed and off, the machine is quite warm --not as hot as it was.

Soon after we login remotely, the heat ramps up again to the point were
you can't keep the 'subject:' machine on your lap; there are time we do
need to use the machine directly which includes placing the machine on
ones' lap.

With that being said, 'man powerd' states the default is to run in
"adaptive" mode but, the bug section of the same man page states:

"If powerd is used with power_profile, they may override each other."

-- How do I know, or find out, if the above (override) is taking place?
-- How to tell what state/mode 'powerd' is in at any particular timestamp?

This machine has never run this hot, prior to running 'powerd'-- or run
this warm, while idling with 'powerd' in comparison to running under windows
--not trying to start and OS confilict here, trying to learn, understand
and control this beast of a machine if possible.

FreeBSD is allowing me to handle my data in a more flexable, feature rich,
secure and Free manner than windows.  We would prefer to stay with
FreeBSD, but not if its going to burn-up our hardware.  We had to take our
previous AMD/smp machine down because we couldn't keep the heat down
without leaving the case open.  We loved that machine but it kept freezing
due to heat.

There is another issue whereby 'APM' is enabled in /etc/rc.conf but while
booting the machine the scrolling text is saying the 'APM' module, or
something like that will not be loaded because of a missing kernel
option/device.  But the kernel notes say its no longer neccessary to build
the 'APM' into the kernel.  Can someone enlighten me as to what I should
be doing with regards to bringing this heat down in addition to the 'APM'
not actually being loaded when its enabled in the kernel.

Thank you.

TECRA_A9-S9017