ath: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 3; attach returned 6

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 13 15:54:55 UTC 2008

This is likely a cardbus issue.  The hal status code is:

        HAL_EIO         = 3,    /* Hardware didn't respond as expected */

(look in sys/contrib/dev/ath/ah.h) and it typically means the sanity
check/self test done at startup failed.

For fun you might check if the cardbus chip on the two laptops are
different.  Warner just recently fixed some cardbus issues in HEAD (w/
Ricoh bridge chips I believe) but the symptoms were different.

    Sam