Wpi keep disconnecting

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 8 15:46:14 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:12:31 +0200
> From: Alberto Rizzi <greenant at fastmail.fm>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> I have a Thinkpad T61 (UZ25FIT) dual boot with Xp and FreeBSD and has an
> Intel 3945ABG on board.
>
> #uname -a
> FreeBSD yoda.endor 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Fri Aug 8 13:51:42
> CEST 2008 root at yoda.endor:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YODA  i386
>
> I can load the wpi driver and configure the interface, then I can
> connect to my wifi router (linksys wag54g 1v) with WPA and surf internet
> but after a while the wpi disconnects. I think it is volume related and
> not time related, maybe a counter overflow or something other.
>
> If I mount a NFS directory and start copying files from the server to
> the notebook, after a minute the wpi disconnects.
> In /var/log/messages I can read
> wpi0: link state changed to DOWN
>
> and in wpa_cli I can read
> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
> <3>TKIP countermeasures started
> <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
>
> after a minute I read in /var/log/messages
> wpi0: scan timeout
>
> and in wpa_cli
> <2>WPA: TKIP countermeasures stopped
>
> with netstat -ibh I see I moved 12MBytes
>
> If I write "reassociate" in wpa_cli, after some seconds in var log
> messages I read
> wpi0: link state changed to UP
>
> and in wpa_cli
> <2>Trying to associate .....
> <2>Associated with .....
> <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed .....
> <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED .....
>
> If I restart the copying process I can see
> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
> but wpi doesn't disconnect.
>
> After a while wpi disconnects and I have the same messages in
> /var/log/messages and wpa_cli
>
> There isn't a fixed amount of bytes I can transfer between two
> disconnection, sometime 10MB, sometime 100MB, but the maximum was 140MB
>
> Please help me, I can give further info.
> I have FreeBSD 7 on this PC since its release and I always had problems

Try 'ifconfig wpi0 -bgscan'. I continue to see reports and to have
problems with association being lost during "background" scans. This
only seems to happen when there are multiple APs available and is very
annoying.

Please drop the list a note it turning off background scanning solves
the problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)