Laptop suggestions?

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko gaijin.k at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 15:10:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:45 -0300, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Achim Patzner <ap at bnc.net> wrote:
> > Am 30.07.2008 um 18:40 schrieb Dag-Erling Smørgrav:
> >>
> >> I don't understand what Macs have to do with this - we're talking about
> >> iX Systems's made-for-BSD laptop.
> >
> > The thread started with someone asking for a mobile computer that
> > would support FreeBSD sufficiently and nobody came up with something
> > fitting the bill (and being available somewhere). Considering the
> > picture you're seeing at any place where more than two hardcore Unix
> > users assemble you're seeing a majority of Macs. There has to be an
> > obvious reason for that... I tried to break that habit more than once
> > but right now the only comfortable way of running FreeBSD on a laptop
> > is VMware Fusion on a Mac. Reading this entire thread convinced me
> > even more.
>
> Please define "comfortable". I've been running FreeBSD 7.0 pretty
> comfortably on my HP nx6320 for several months now. I never attempted
> to use neither Bluetooth nor the fingerprint reader, so I don't miss
I am sure this is not intentional, but a lot of the responses in this
thread mention not using Bluetooth. If only to make sure that people are
not led to believe that Bluetooth support in FreeBSD is lacking, I would
like to mention that I have been using it for a long while with Apple
Keyboard (something Windows incarnation of the same laptop is not
capable of), Logitech V570(?) mouse, Palms E2 and TX (former NAT'd out
to the network through FreeBSD host) and the string of Motorola phones
for moving pictures, sounds and Java applications back and forth using
OBEX.

And, just to throw out some other definition of the "comfortable" -- I
find my ThinkPad X61 (12" diagonally, 4.5lbs) much more comfortable to
carry around than my iBook G4 or the smallest of the MacBooks being sold
today. I guess, "comfortable" is on the lap of the beholder ;)

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)