Dial-up Networking with Verizon and Treo

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sat Apr 26 02:43:36 UTC 2008

> I have a Verizon Wireless Palm 755p with which I can connect my laptop
> to the Internet under Windows. I would really like to be able to do this
> under FreeBSD, but I have no idea of what the appropriate USB driver
> would be or how PPP would be configured for it. The Verizon software
> does not even have an account name or password for the connection.
>
> Has anyone managed to get this to work? I suspect any Treo on Verizon
> would connect in much the same manner.

	I've tried a few times to get the Treos recognized in the OS,
if your running a fairly new version it should be in there. It'll
show up on ucom0 .

	When I ran USB, I put in /etc/ppp/pp.conf :

vzwenusb:
 set phone "#777"
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK AT\$QCMDR=3 OK AT\$QCQNC=0  OK \\dATDT\\T TIM
EOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set authname 9175555505 at vzw3g.com
 set authkey vzw
 set device /dev/ucom0
 set speed 230400
 add default HISADDR

	Then invoke

/usr/sbin/ppp -ddial vzwenusb

	I've also done it with bluetooth.

In /etc/rc.local :

/etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0
/usr/sbin/sdpd
/usr/local/bin/sdptool add DUN
/usr/sbin/rfcomm_pppd -s -C 1  -l rfcomm-server
/sbin/sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
/sbin/ipnat -C
/sbin/ipnat -f /usr/local/etc/rfcomm_ppd.nat.conf

	(I think there was something special about the sdptool I
used, it was from sdp-1.5, maybe even with a modification from
one of the list people...)

In /etc/ppp/ppp.conf :

rfcomm-server:
  set timeout 0
  set lqrperiod 60
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
  enable lqr
  accept lqr
  # Do not use PPP authentication. Assume that
  # Bluetooth connection was authenticated already
  disable pap
  deny pap
  disable chap
  deny chap
  # Added by Tuc
  enable dns

In /usr/local/etc/rfcomm_ppd.nat.conf:

 map wi0 10.0.0.2/32 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp auto
 map wi0 10.0.0.2/32 -> 0/32

	You'll need to change the interface as appropriate.

		Tuc