Dial-up Networking with Verizon and Treo

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Fri Apr 25 19:54:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:35:33 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote
> I have a Verizon Wireless Palm 755p with which I can connect my
> laptop to the Internet under Windows. I would really like to be able
> to do this under FreeBSD, but I have no idea of what the appropriate
> USB driver would be or how PPP would be configured for it. The
> Verizon software does not even have an account name or password for
> the connection.
>
> Has anyone managed to get this to work? I suspect any Treo on Verizon
> would connect in much the same manner.
> --

I did this with my old Verizon Motorola phone several years ago via Bluetooth.
I paired my laptop (6.0-RELEASE afaik) with the phone and used it as a modem
to dial-up to Verizon's network. The speed wasn't great (EVDO) but it worked.
Verizon phones dial #777 for a data connection where the username is
your_10_digit_number at vzw3g.com and the password is vzw. Don't think you need
the cable/dongle as long as your 755p supports DUN via bluetooth. I have a
700wx myself but haven't tried this yet.