battery monitor with KDE 64 bit

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Apr 23 03:46:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, mato wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > FWIW, I've also long used sysutils/ascpu as a 60sec visual load monitor,
 > > matching asapm's 'look', res. size and low cpu usage.  At ~7days uptime:
 > >
 > >  3680 smithi       8    0  2344K   448K nanslp  44:06  0.00%  0.00% asapm
 > >  3681 smithi       8    0  2564K   448K nanslp  41:53  0.00%  0.00% ascpu
 > >  3514 root        96    0  1280K   264K select  36:32  0.00%  0.00% moused
 > >

 > There's something wrong with asapm or with my system -- I configured
 > asapm for 5 seconds updating (as opposed to default 1s) and after 3
 > hours of uptime it already consumed 30 CPU-seconds. (!)

Yeah Martin, that seems a lot; mine's using ~6 seconds per day.  Perhaps
to do with running on amd64 rather than i386, though I've no idea why,
unless it's much busier with ACPI than with APM.

Might be worth trying with the explicit -acpi switch, in case it tries
using the apm-over-acpi calls on your system?  Pure speculation ..

Are you running any commands on any conditions from the resource file?
I don't use ~/.asapmrc at all, just run 'asapm -lower forestgreen'.

 > Regarding look, I would prefer asapm to use a bit more of space like
 > wmbsdbatt does (or wmcpuload which I've long been using as a visual load
 > monitor).

Well this ol' beastie has an 800x600 screen, so small (about 0.9" square
with frame) is good for me.  You'd have to play with the sources to make
it bigger, which is way beyond my ability (or interest :)

cheers, Ian