Wireless on hp 6710b

Andrey andrey.kosachenko at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:45:59 UTC 2008

Hi, Pippo Pippone!

It seems you did things "literally" as they are described in handbook
:o). Also you've not provided sufficient information concerned the
wireless hardware you have.

But still, you should use wpi instead of ath.
Thus you need whether wpi in your kernel or you can load it as a kernel
module.

Actually (for quick start) you can try the configuration listed below:

# less /boot/loader.conf
if_wpi_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_amrr_load="YES"
firmware_load="YES"
legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1 # this one is licence related  stuff

wpifw_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"

For more information take a look into man if_wpi.

Also take into consideration that unfortunately if_wpi currently has
limited abilities :(.
For example Host AP and ad-hoc modes are not supported yet.

Pippo Pippone wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I have a HP 6710b notebook with an Intel PRO/Wireless 802.1, and I'm
trying to make the wireless to work.
 > I followed the instruction from the freeBSD handbook but without
result. When I type ifconfig I cant see the wireless card.
 > I checked the kernel configuration file, and it contains all the
devices needed (ath, ath_hal, ath_rate_sample, wlan, wlan_wep,
wlan_ccmp, wlan_tkip). However, from the boot message  I cant see any
information for the  ath0 device.

--
Sincerely,
Andrey Kosachenko