Wireless connection problem.

nollan nollan at phreaker.net
Wed Sep 12 06:13:41 PDT 2007

Hi List!

 I've got a really annoying problem with my wireless connection from my
FreeBSD Gateway to the WAN-router (Yes, the gateway connect to the WAN
via wireless :(.  ). The setup works fine until the carrier is lost
(maybe weak signal), then it refuses to pick the connection up again,
resulting in a non-working gateway. Then I have to flush ipfw, dhclient
ath0 and restart natd to make it all work again. If I keep the
connection busy (i.e. ping -i 5 gateway), it all works fine, no carrier
is lost. Shouldn't it be possible for the setup to regain carrier
automatically when it's lost?

My setup:

1:
rc.conf:
gateway_enable="YES"
dhclient_program="/sbin/dhclient"
dhclient_flags=""

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="OPEN"

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ath0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf" (same_ports yes - use_sockets yes -
dynamic yes)

ifconfig_ath0="ssid ZyXEL DHCP wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x....."

2:
ipfw list: (not safe, just temporary)

50 divert 8668 ip from any to any via ath0
100 allow ip from any to any

3: Hardware
The ath0 card is a D-Link DWL-G520
The router is a ZyXEL P-320 (no turbomode etc)

As I said, the setup works flawless util the carrier is lost and ath0 is
unable to regain carrier.

Thanks in advance,
Regards