ACPI Attach (acpi_ibm) stops mouse from working

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Wed Oct 24 15:19:35 PDT 2007

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007 12:04:52 pm Tom Judge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have recently setup an IBM/Lenovo T43 with RELENG_7 as of mid last
>> week, however I have a problem with the acpi_ibm module.
>>
>> If I add acpi_ibm_load="YES" to loader.conf I get the following message
>> during boot:
>>
>> psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
>>
>> This is followed by a message stating that the acpi_ibm module has
>> attached to IRQ 12.
>>
>> If I remove this module from loader.conf and boot the system the mouse
>> attaches and works as expected.  If I then kldload acpi_ibm the module
>> attaches to acpi0.
>>

>> Is there any way to make this work without loading the acpi module after
>> boot?
>
> Can you provide your acpidump as well as devinfo -rv output from both cases?
> (i.e. when it is loaded at boot and when it is kldloaded after boot)

Hi,

After spending many hours trying to reproduce this I have narrowed it
down to the order in which the modules are loaded (and by nature listed
in /boot/loader.conf).  It seems that the psm will only attach when
acpi_ibm is listed at the end of loader.conf.

I have run a sequence of tests and gathered the following data

acpidump -dt
devinfo -rv
/var/run/dmesg.boot
Kernel config (T43)

The file names are in the format {data}-{acpi_ibm_load line number in
loader.conf}-{good=psm attached/bad=psm failed to attach}

The files are avaliable here: http://www.tomjudge.com/tmp/debug.tgz

If you want any more information please let me know.

Tom J