Problems Booting

Joseph Yeager joeyea323 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:32:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have a Tosbhia M65-S9092 laptop that I've been trying to get FreeBSD on.
I've tried 6.2-RELEASE, 5.5-RELEASE, and PC-BSD v1.4 and they all have the
same problem's booting.  The installation procedure runs perfectly fine
using the normal boot procedure (option 1).  No matter what option I hit
when trying to boot after installation, it seems to completely freeze.  If I
select an option that has ACPI enabled, it will do this after displaying a
message about loading acpi.ko.  I say that it seems to completely freeze
because I'm not sure if it is still actually loading something and perhaps
I'm not seeing it.  The keyboard is completely non-responsive, however it
will access the hard drive for a quick second twice and it will spin up the
CD drive once.  After that, nothing happens and I'm forced to do a hard
shutdown.  I've tried booting with everything disconnected from the
computer, with a usb keyboard connected, and with another monitor connected,
and the exact same thing happens every time.  Most recently I tried changing
the drive geometry during install to what is shown on my hard drive and that
did not change anything.  What really drives me crazy is the fact that
FreeSBIE runs perfectly fine.  I'm really trying to minimize my Windows
usage as I can't stand it and I would prefer to get FreeBSD on here so any
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe