Recommended laptops for FreeBSD 6.x ...

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 14 17:34:49 UTC 2007

> From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com>
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:48:09 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>

> --=-jdMU/vAkVlVQBOC0m45e
>
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 10:18 -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > >>
> > >=20
> > > If your primary concern is as a road warrior, then battery life might
> > > appeal to you more than a 40% reduction in 'make buildworld'.
> > >=20
> > > Personally I love my dual core lappy, but I use battery power about 10%
> > > of the time, and always under 1 hour.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Note that a Core 2 Duo processor may use noticeably less power than a=20
> > single core <something else>.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Eric
> >=20
>
> I find it still uses more juice with both cores enabled than just one -
> in which case, surely a Core Solo might be a better bet. I'm not sure on
> availability of Core 2 Duo ULV processors in off-the-shelf laptops.

For the record, Pentium4 based systems use a LOT more power than either
Pentium-M (aka Centrino). I have not carefully evaluated the power
consumption of Core Duo systems, but they are higher then similar
Pentium-M systems. P4 systems also run much hotter than P-M or Core Duo
systems.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)