uath for freebsd

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Mar 7 04:24:55 UTC 2007

Gregory Nou wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm the (not so) happy owner of a D-Link DWL-G132. You may know that
> Damien B. has written some drivers for OpenBSD, named uath, which
> should work with this :
> ugen1: <Atheros Communications Inc USB WLAN Device, class 255/0, rev
> 2.00/0.01, addr 4> on uhub4
> USB WLAN Device(0x3a03), Atheros Communications Inc(0x2001)
>
> I read somewhere
> (http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-oct-2006-dec-2006.html)
> that "Support for Atheros USB devices is coming".
> However, if I found the ural part in the perforce repository of
> project usb, I did not find something looking like uath.
> The fact is, I need it. I've begin the work, but that's not as fast
> and straight-forward as I first thought.
> Actually, I was using if_wpi for Benjamin Close, if_udav from Shingo
> Watanabe and if_uath from OpenBSD, trying to mix everything. I did not
> find ural soon enough to have a look at it, but I'm pretty sure it may
> help a lot.
> My question is (yes, I have a question, the purpose of this email is
> not only to tell you what I do in my life ;)) :
> would it be worth it ? I mean, if somebody is working on it, I'm
> willing to help, test, or whatever (I am not afraid of terrible
> crashes). If nobody is doing it, then, I'll try to finish it on my
> own.
> I would also like to know if there is anonymous access (apart from the
> web) to the perforce repository. I'd like to get the content of
> http://cvs.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb/&HIDEDEL=NO

I wrote the status item about Atheros usb support and I am the one doing
the work.  The driver is not ready for public consumption and
unfortunately I am way too busy these days to spend time on it.  The
uath driver from obsd was a good start but was far off the mark in many
areas and I basically had to start from scratch.  Furthermore uath is
based on a firmware revision that was way out of date and my driver is
based on a different build that works very differently.  The good news
is that this new firmware is totally under my control (I build it from
source) and it has a license identical to the binary ath hal so can be
included in the FreeBSD CVS repository and be distributed as part of
FreeBSD (or any other system) once the driver is ready.

No eta on getting a driver for test.  There is other work far more
important at this moment.

If you cannot wait you can always port the uath driver from obsd in the
meantime.

	Sam