opw: Unfinished driver for Option Globetrotter 3G+ cards

Marcin Cieslak saper at system.pl
Fri Jun 29 21:05:03 UTC 2007

Hello,

I started writing a device driver for the Option Globetrotter 3G+
UMTS/GPRS cards. Naming of those products is confusing, I mean
cards as the cards using "nozomi" interface mentioned here:

http://www.pharscape.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

My card was branded by German T-Mobile and had PCI ID 0x000c1931.

Unfortunately I have to give up further development since I had to gave
back the card and I don't have the hardware and appropriate contract
to continue.

This card is different from normal modem clones that provide just serial
interface. It provides 5 emulated serial ports, called
"Control port, "Modem port", "Diag port", "App #1 port", "App #2 port"
some of them are fully functional ports that accept AT commands.
The purpose of this design is (as I suppose) to be able to use another
port to monitor connection parameters (signal strength, band used etc.)
on one port and to have established data connection on another port in
parallel.

This driver was done looking at the nozomi Linux driver available at
the Pharscape website. I didn't like their approach so this driver is
written completely from scratch.

Current version of this code has the hardware support written, however
I was able only to send commands and unable to read anything from card.
Skeleton tty integration is there but needs probably somebody with
serial experience to fix this. Therefore I would estimate progress made
at 30%.

The good thing is that this driver should not crash your system during
development so it is relatively safe to load ;-)

I have posted the driver skeleton there:

http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~saper/FreeBSD/opw/opw.tar

I was working on FreeBSD 6.x at the time.

I could go back to developing the driver but I would need access to the
hardware and flatrate subscription to one of the German mobile networks.
I am travelling quite often by train so testing communications on a
high-speed train is not a problem.

--Marcin