Synaptics and Xorg 7.2

Cristian KLEIN cristi at net.utcluj.ro
Sat Jun 16 19:05:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have noticed the following problem when using x11-servers/synaptics with
Xorg 7.2.

Whenever switching VTs or suspending / resuming, Synaptics support gets
disabled. The user notices that scrolling, dragging does not work, and
there is no min_movement anymore.

The problem is due to the fact that Xorg 7.2 has a build-in pointer
device, which is "hard to disable" (i.e. it gets loaded even when there is
another core pointer). During VT switch or suspending / resuming, this
build-in driver somehow catches /dev/psm0 before synaptics does.

http://www.stz-softwaretechnik.de/~ke/touchscreen/evtouch.html suggests
how to disable the build-in driver. I have attached a patch which augments
pkg-message. May I also suggest to move synaptics from x11-servers to
x11-drivers? Should I send a PR?

Thanks,
Cristi.