laptop to install freebsd

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 15 08:34:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 01:40 +0200, Konrad Lapsz wrote:
> Dnia 2007-06-14, o godz. 13:33:08
> "Tsu-Fan Cheng" <tfcheng at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
> > hi,
> >   i know this sounds a bit irresponsible, but I am a little
> > overwhelmed by the models/chip/drivers on the issue of which laptop
> > to buy to install freebsd on it. I wonder if anyone can put out a few
> > models to me that have good support in fbsd, especially the VGA
> > output, because I hope I could have a chance to use it in
> > presentation someday, thank you for your help.
>
> I have HP 510 with 915GM and Aristo Smart400S also with 915GM, and
> FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT on both, works fine. :)
>
> Grettings,

Its probably getting on a bit (not core 2 duo), but I have a very nice
Centrino Duo (T2500  @ 2.00GHz)/i945GM based HP/Compaq laptop (nc 6320).

DRI works, its fairly snappy whilst compiling (its main use; I write BSD
based apps in C++, so it gets quite a pounding), battery life is good
(~2hrs with workload), sound works. It comes with an intel 3945(a)bg
wifi card which doesn't work (yet).

Best of all (better than my home workstation) it even has a serial port
for remote ddb - dead handy.

Tom