laptop to install freebsd

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Thu Jun 14 22:08:17 UTC 2007

in message <f84c38580706141033i1f4d72cbleeff5b2438e01b41 at mail.gmail.com>,
wrote Tsu-Fan Cheng thusly...

> i know this sounds a bit irresponsible, but I am a little
> overwhelmed by the models/chip/drivers on the issue of which
> laptop to buy to install freebsd on it. I wonder if anyone can put
> out a few models to me that have good support in fbsd, especially
> the VGA output, because I hope I could have a chance to use it in
> presentation someday, thank you for your help.

I have IBM Thinkpad T42 (2753-5TU) which had no problem with VGA
output when I gave a presentation or two.

The included 802.11bg card, Intel 2200BG, requires ndis, with which
I was having problem in terms of WPA & DHCP.  BTW, according to
others' postings IBM [abg] card would be a better substitute.
Currently, I use "Belkin My Essentials Wireless G" card with ath
driver without any problems.

For more details see ...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/freebsd/thinkpad-t42-2373-5tu/

  - Parv