external flatscreen with Thinkpad T42

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net
Sat Jan 27 15:33:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 12:06 +0100, Frank Altpeter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> on 2007-01-26 at 10:31:24 CET, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > My T42 display first went pink on powerup (but would warm up
> > to normal colors), then it would turn off intermittently and
> > now it turns off within a second on power up.  Has anyone
> > tried repairing this?  Supposedly a new inverter card or a
> > new CCRT is needed....
I would poke around the IBM website looking for "maintenance" manuals.
In the days of TP 701C and TP 560 they had sufficient enough detail to
take laptops completely apart and put them back together (which, for TP
701C, is saying a lot). They have a habit of mashing quite a few models
under the same cover, so you might need to peruse actual manual to
figure out if yours is there. This said, I have not done major surgery
on the modern ThinkPad laptops.

>From my experience on some other machines, I would suggest taking
pictures of the hardware on every stage of the disassembly with the
digital camera if you have one.

> > Temporarily I have attached an external Samsung flatscreen
> > display to the T42.  It has a resolution of 1680x1050 but it
> > comes up in 1024x768 mode and everything is horizontally
> > stretched.  I would like to use it in a higher res mode and
> > more importantly to avoid the stretching.  Does any one have
> > a xorg.conf that I can use as a starting point for an
> > external display with higher res?  If it matters, I am
> > running -current and xorg-6.9.0 Thanks!
> As far as i know, the T42 external connector does only 1280x1024 maximum.
That varies by model. Mine (2373-Q1U) does 1600x1200 on the built-in LCD
and external connector.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko