Atheros card in HP Pavilion dv5000

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 19 03:40:54 UTC 2007

In message: <45B03867.60607 at errno.com>
            Sam Leffler <sam at errno.com> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > What do I need to do to get around the ***STUPID*** bios restriction
: > that is in my HP Pavilion dv5000?  I have a broadcom unit:
: >
: > none3 at pci6:2:0: class=0x028000 card=0x1358103c chip=0x431914e4 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
: >     vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
: >     device   = 'Dell Wireless 1470 DualBand WLAN'
: >     class    = network
: >
: > but there's no driver for it.  I have an atheros minipci card, but
: > when I put it into the laptop, I get "unsupported wireless card
: > detected" message.
: >
: > How can I install the atheros card and have it work?
:
: Set the pci device id in the card eeprom to something the bios will
: accept.  Then wack the driver to accept that id and map it to the
: appropriate Atheros device id for use within the driver.  google is your
: friend here.

Google is indeed.  Thanks for the key (hack the eeprom) element.

Warner